Newburyport Powder House Open for Trails & Sails Sept. 23 & 30

19 Sep 2018 11:06 AM | Web Wrangler (Administrator)

Newburyport's Powder House Park & Learning Center
featured at Essex Heritage Trails & Sails Sept. 23 & 30

Newburyport's 1822 Powder House, at 57 Low Street, will be open twice this month, September 23 and 30, with tours and demonstrations of musket firing, Revolutionary War maneuvers, and the craft of powder kegs.

On Sunday, September 23, 12-4 p.m., visitors are welcome to tour the restored exterior and interior of the restored Powder House, and stroll the original cobblestone wagon path and park grounds. Members of the Acton Minutemen will be on hand to talk about the importance of early militias in towns of the Bay Colony. They will demonstrate the use of the flintlock musket, as well as marching maneuvers from the Revolutionary War.

On Sunday, September 30, 12-4 p.m., in addition to tours, visitors will enjoy master cooper Ron Raiselis and his lively demonstrations of making powder kegs. Ron's visits are a favorite with both children and adults at Powder House events because of his humor and enthusiasm for hands-on learning.

This event is free and open to the public as a proud part of Essex National Heritage Area Trails & Sails 2018. The Powder House is located on Godfrey's Hill, 57 Low Street, across from the Nock/Molin schools.

Powder House Park & Learning Center, the culmination of a nine-year restoration effort by the Newburyport Preservation Trust, was recognized nationally in 2013 with an award of merit from the American Association of State and Local History.
© 2007-2013 Newburyport Preservation Trust / Site design, text, & graphics by NPT /  Site implementation by TYKATECH
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software